So you’re moving or getting ready to put your items into storage, and you are eager to start packing your home. We don’t blame you! This is an exciting time. However, the proper packing materials, not to mention technique, will help keep your spirits up and your items unbroken. That’s why the team at Viking, with over 25 years of experience in the moving industry, has assembled some packing tips to help you out.
Keep these general packing tips in mind to pack like a champion.
Use Good Packing Material.
Viking offers a full array of professional packing materials to help you get the job done right. Whether you buy from us or another vendor, look for the following:
- Moving Boxes: Good moving boxes should come in standard moving sizes and be made up of sturdy corrugated cardboard. Stay away from using any boxes where the walls are too thin as the boxes will not be durable enough for your move or for storage.
- Tape: Purchase rolls of packing tape to seal your boxes. Stay away from duct tape or masking tape, as they are not sturdy enough to stand up to the job!
- Packing paper: This paper is simply large sheets of un-printed newsprint. Packing paper can be used to protect most any type of object, as well as fill empty space in boxes. Remember – always use un-printed newsprint to avoid getting ink smudges on your fragile items.
- Bubble wrap: Bubble wrap is not essential but can be used to easily protect your most delicate and breakable items.
- Paper pads: Paper pads are large soft sheets of paper that are used to wrap delicate items that are too big for the standard packing paper. If you are looking to pad and protect larger furniture items, consider using moving pads.
Properly Assemble Your Moving Boxes.
We want to let you in on a little secret…there’s a special trick to assembling boxes like the professionals:
- When the box is laying flat, you will notice there is a small cardboard tab connecting the top flaps on the box. When you are ready to assemble your boxes, while the box is still flat, fold the top flaps down to the sides, and then open the box up. The tabs will keep the flaps of the box held neatly to the side while you are filling the box.
- 3 is the magic number… when it comes to tape strips, that is! Use 3 strips of tape to seal your boxes, top and bottom.
Finally – there are some things you SHOULD NOT pack!
- Hazardous or flammable items, such as:
- Matches, lighter fluid, Sterno, or charcoal
- Fertilizers and pesticides
- Liquid bleach
- Nail polish and nail polish remover
- Car batteries
- Aerosol cans
- Plants and flowers
- Perishable food items and/or open food items
- Pet food or baby formula
- Items of irreplaceable sentimental value such as:
- Family photo albums
- Collections (coin, etc.)
- Furs and jewelry
- Cell phones
- Computer back ups
- Medical records, insurance policies, and other important documents
- Prescription medication
Interested in learning any more packing tips from Viking? Feel free to contact us and let us know what you’d like to learn about.